Cryptocurrency (Mar 09, 2021 09:00AM ET)
Ethereum to Launch Berlin Mainnet Upgrade on April 14
- The Ethereum community has set a schedule for the upcoming Berlin upgrade.
- Ethereum node operators advise upgrading as soon as possible to a Berlin-compatible version.
- Berlin upgrades introduce the Ethereum Improvement Protocols (EIPs) to the Ethereum network.
After months of preparation and planning, the Ethereum community has set a schedule for the upcoming Berlin upgrade. It is a significant milestone in their development roadmap.
Specifically, Berlin should go live in Block 12.244.000 on April 14 on the Ethereum Mainnet, Tim Beiko wrote on Monday. Ropsten, the first testnet update, is scheduled to commence March 10. Meanwhile, the Goerli and Rinkeby network updates will come on March 17 and March 24.
Ethereum node operators need to upgrade as soon as possible to a Berlin-compatible version for the three test networks and before April 7 for the Mainnet.
“Ethereum node operators should upgrade their nodes prior to the fork block on the networks they want to participate in. Due to block time variability, it is recommended to update several days before the expected date.”
However, exchange wallet service providers and ETH holders do not have to do anything to update.
The Berlin upgrade introduces the following Ethereum Improvement Protocols (EIPs) to the Ethereum network:
- EIP-2565, which decreases the cost of ModExp precompilation;
- EIP-2929, which enhances certain gas costs;
- EIP-2718, which provides for a new type of transaction; and
- EIP-2930, which comprises a transaction type with optional access lists.
Besides, Berlin follows the upgrades of Istanbul and Muir Glacier, which got a place in December 2019 and January 2020, respectively. The name of the current upgrade was next to Devcon 0, which took place in Berlin. The next proposed upgrade from Ethereum is called London, where Devcon 1 took place.
Ethereum is still on the rise with the launch of Eth2 in December 2020. Eth2 is starting a multi-year upgrade of the blockchain network to move from the existing consensus Proof-of-Work (PoW) to a Proof-of-Stake (PoS) model.
At the time of writing, the ETH price rose to $1,831.30, according to CoinGecko. At its current value, Ethereum has a total market capitalization of $ 210 billion.
This article first published on coinquora.com